ln-layer patterns: Stripes, islands, chessboard
Chess board pattern
Patterns orientation in successive layers
Laser beam motion is typically driven by mechanical mechanisms of mirror through theta scan heads. Practically, this involves ‘jumping’ time (ie beam switched off) while the mirrors reposition to process successive stripes or squares. Worth keeping in mind is this have a non negligible impact on the building time of large components.
To sum up...
1. L. Ma and H. Bin. Temperature and stress analysis and simulation in fractal scanning-based laser sintering. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology.34(9), 898–903. 10.1007/s00170-006-0665-5.
2. L. Thijs, F. Verhaeghe, T. Craeghs, J. Van Humbeeck, and J. P. Kruth, “A study of the microstructural evolution during selective laser melting of Ti-6Al-4V,” Acta Mater., vol. 58, no. 9, pp. 3303–3312, May 2010.
3. X. Su and Y. Yang, “Research on track overlapping during Selective Laser Melting of powders,” J. Mater. Process. Technol., vol. 212, no. 10, pp. 2074–2079, Oct. 2012.
4. S. Nur, S. Jamaludin, F. Mustapha, and D. M. Nuruzzaman, “A review on the fabrication techniques of functionally graded ceramic-metallic materials in advanced composites,” vol. 8, no. 21, pp. 828–840, 2013.
5. D. Manfredi, F. Calignano, M. Krishnan, R. Canali, E. Ambrosio, and E. Atzeni, “From Powders to Dense Metal Parts: Characterization of a Commercial AlSiMg Alloy Processed through Direct Metal Laser Sintering,” Materials (Basel)., vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 856–869, Mar. 2013.
6. F. Calignano, “Design optimization of supports for overhanging structures in aluminum and titanium alloys by selective laser melting,” Mater. Des., vol. 64, pp. 203–213, Dec. 2014.
7. X. J. Wang, L. C. Zhang, M. H. Fang, and T. B. Sercombe, “The effect of atmosphere on the structure and properties of a selective laser melted Al–12Si alloy,” Mater. Sci. Eng. A, vol. 597, pp. 370–375, Mar. 2014.
8. G. Sun, R. Zhou, J. Lu, and J. Mazumder, “Evaluation of defect density, microstructure, residual stress, elastic modulus, hardness and strength of laser-deposited AISI 4340 steel,” Acta Mater., vol. 84, pp. 172–189, Feb. 2015.
9. Y. Yang, J. Lu, Z.-Y. Luo, and D. Wang, “Accuracy and density optimization in directly fabricating customized orthodontic production by selective laser melting,” Rapid Prototyp. J., vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 482–489, 2012.
10. Jamasp Jhabvala, Eric Boillat, Thibaud Antignac & Remy Glardon, Study and simulation of different scanning strategies in SLM, © 2010 Taylor & Francis Group, London, UK, p369